Miami, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My child's father haven't see her in 4 yrs stop paying child support and now file for timeshare for my 12 yrs old.

He know where we live and been invited to my house by my husband but he refuses. He treating to take my daughter away after he got married in order to stop paying child support. My daughter visited for his wedding and was left alone she had to call the police. My husband raised my daughter for 10 yrs, she had phone he bought to keep in touch with her and got angry leave rude messages on it and then disconnected it. Now he's sues me for timeshare.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: He is entitled to file papers. He will likely get supervised visitation at best, for now, most guys do not follow through, with that said you should retain a lawyer.

  • Altamonte Springs, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I want to add that you can file a counter-petition that asks for retroactive chlid support. However, if there already exists an judicial order estabilshing a child support amount, you should file a motion for contempt against the father. If the court finds the father in contempt, you will probably be awarded the attorney's fees that you spent. Also, the court will likely order the father to graudally pay off the child support arrears.

I encourage you to call me and schedule a free consultation if you have any questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.