Tracy, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Agent/seller flipped a home, advertised as completely remodeled but master shower leaked from day. Any recourse?

My daughter bought a house from an agent/seller who had completely remodeled the home. Inspections were done but a leak in the master shower, which was brand new, didn't get noticed until the shower was being used regularly. They immediately contact the agent/seller and he came out and caulked but the issue has not been taken care of and the water has damagaed the shower to the point where it needs to be replaced. They were in constant contact with him and he kept coming over and trying different things but now he isn't responding to their inquiries. Permits were never done and he did not disclose the remodel was done without permits. Do they have any recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert James Reynolds
Robert James Reynolds
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like there may be recourse if the work that was done required permits and, also, there may be recourse against whoever installed the shower, if it was negligently installed.

How much is the damage; one issue may be it may cost more to pursue it, legally, that what may end up being recovered.

Of course, without reviewing all of the facts and documents, it is difficult to give a final opinion, but I think the foregoing gives you something to think about.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.