Miami, FL asked in Military Law for Florida

Q: My best friend was discharged from the Marines because he said he was a drug addict. But he told me he lied about it.

My best friend was recently discharged from the Marines because he said he was a drug addict. He got a other than honorable with a RE4B (He told me it means he cant reenlist). However, he recently confessed and told me that he lied about taking drugs so he can leave to be with his fiancee. However, his fiancee left him and now regrets leaving the Marines. He has been depressed and drinking alot. He calls me constantly saying he wants to be a Marine again but cant due to the fact he got a RE4B. So as a worried friend I am wondering if he confessed that he lied about doing drugs and being an addict that he can somehow rejoin. This was his dream and i hate to see him sad because he made this dumb mistake for a girl. He told me his urine test came out negative but they believed him taking drugs. Is there anyway my friend can be a marine again or will confessing just make matters worse. He said if he confessed he can get a dishonorable is that true.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Robert Jason De Groot

  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Whenever you have a legal problem like this, it is always best to go have a full discussion with an attorney. The friend needs to go see a military law attorney.

Philip D. Cave

  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA

A: He can't reenlist because he got an "Other Than Honorable" and because of the RE code.

He will not be reenlisted for that reason.

Also, if they believed him that he lied, then they will not want to reenlist him because he lied to get out.

Suggest he move on and learn from his experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.