San Luis Obispo, CA asked in Contracts for California

Q: If A loses a lawsuit, and owes B 1 million, and A dies before paying the full amount, who is responsible for the rest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phyllis Voisenat
Phyllis Voisenat
  • Alameda, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The judgment would set forth who is responsible to pay it. It is only lists "A", then you would have to look to "A's" estate. You should check in the county court where A resided to see if a probate file was opened to file a claim, and do so right away. Also, check with a tax attorney to see if you get any tax relief for the unpaid debt. If you created judgment liens against A's property, you may get paid from there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.