Lilburn, GA asked in Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: Hi, i am a resident of GA. My boyfriend got in a fight during a community soccer game, now the player wants a lawsuit ?

The other soccer player wants my boyfriend to oay for his hospital bills . Can he do that ? And what can potentially happen to my boyfriend ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kevin P. Parker

  • Griffin, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The situation you have described involves many factors. One issue, of many, is whether the fight was mutual or one party was the aggressor with the other party acting only in self-defense?

A person may be sued for injuries the person causes to another. Whether the plaintiff in such a case would be able to recover his or her damages depends on the facts of the particular case and issues such as the one above.

The situation where one party brings a lawsuit against another to recover damages is a civil case. Where one party injures another, however, criminal charges also may apply. Generally, criminal charges are brought by the State in a criminal case. The determination of whether criminal charges could apply likely would involve many of the same issues that would be involved in a civil lawsuit (e.g. who started the fight, whether the fight was mutual, whether one party was merely acting in self-defense, etc.).

DISCLAIMER: This response to your inquiry is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. Any information contained in the content or this service should not be construed as legal advice and is not intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No attorney-client relationship is formed by this response.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.