Riverside, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: I am the defendant in a civil case in California which I am not contesting. Do I have to sit for a deposition?

My previous employer is suing me. The attorney for my previous employer wants to take a deposition from me. Am I obligated to give my deposition? My biggest concern is that if they try to file criminal charges I will incriminate myself.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE

A: If you are concerned about criminal charges, it's time to hire an attorney.

Thomas Davis agrees with this answer

Thomas Davis
Thomas Davis
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As you indicated, there is a potential that you could incriminate yourself in answering questions in your depo. I suggest that you contact a lawyer, as the lawyer might be able to have the depo subpoena quashed or, if the depo does go forward, object to certain questions and instruct you not answer. Best of luck with this!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.