Asked in Tax Law for Washington

Q: Can you help with Schedule C

Recently I was made aware that we should amend our tax returns to add self employment income I made for which I was paid cash..which was about 2k per year..

Those work were random and not consistent so I don't have any license etc. for that...for example 1. I helped my friend to fix his laptop and he paid cash 2. I sold some scrap metal and got cash 3. Helped a neighbor fixed his lawn 4. Helped a family member to move stuff 5. Helped a friend fix his car etc......

Now questions.

1.On Schedule C it asks what is your 'Principal business or profession, including product or service'

What should I write here....? I know business code is 999999 but what exact words I should write to describe profession or service? can I write 'various activities - unable to classify.

2.I have no records on how much I made so can I put $2000 as approx. figure without any records ..

3.Same with expenses...can I leave it blank? because again I have no records..I heard IRS wants proof of expenses

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: Use your best estimate with respect to income and expenses to amend your tax returns and the schedule C. Put down “Service/Sales” and “Miscellaneous” for classification. The important thing is that you file the accurate tax returns and pay the accurate tax amount. Good luck. Zaher Fallahi, Tax Attorney, CPA.

Jennifer Louise Long agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.