Mount Rainier, MD asked in Collections for North Carolina

Q: Can I sue a storage unit company for selling my property even tho the payments were being automatically paid monthly?

Before the sale of the contents in the Unit payments were being taken out of my account and several months AFTHER the sale of the unit contents payments were being taken out of my account monthly ..I contacted the owners they said it was a "Fluke" and offered me 660.00 dollars for my property . Requiring that I make the trip ( over 100 miles) there and sign forms releasing them of all responsibility. If I did NOT have the money in the account and was not able to pay a payment I would ALWAYS inform them when to expect it and to take it out. Not once in the 7 years I have been with them have I ever left them in the dark on anything like they have me in this issue.. I am very saddened by the sale of my PERSONAL property that can NEVER be replaced and was sold over what the owner calls a "Fluke" .. ** It was several months after the sale before I found out about the sale; Is there a statue of limitations on this issue taken place in Surry Co. North Carolina?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, there is a statute of limitations. It is three (3) years for most things in NC. Your ability to prevail in a lawsuit here is problematic (note I did not say impossible - I said problematic). (1) Contracts by storage facilities generally allow the storage facility owner to enter a storage unit and sell the contents if payments are not made. You indicate payments were made timely. If so, then these should be showing up on your bank statement. (2) the contract should spell out what happens if a payment is not made and notice provisions. What does the contract say? What did the storage facility do? Did they notify you of the sale? and (3) assuming that you are not barred by the statute of limitations and that you can prove, based on the lease and lack of notice and bank statements that the sale was wrongful, then what are your damages? if you had irreplaceable stuff in the warehouse, that was on you. Its going to be very difficult to establish values for items that are one of a kind or of sentimental value. I am willing to bet you did not keep a list of what was there, or photos of it. And values for used items are not what they would be for new. Unless you can document the value then its going to be hard to recover anything more than a nominal value.

Your biggest hurdle though is going to be timing. When did this sale of your property occur and when did you learn of it? How long ago was that? The other hurdle is where are you now? You will have to sue them in Surry County. If your damages are less than $10,000 you can sue in small claims court but you will have to be here to file forms and attend the hearing. If you wish to sue in regular court you will have to get an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.