Asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Can my wife who lives in Connecticut prevent me from having a visitation in another state

I live in California, I am a college student and have a small income from an internship. My wife left me and moved in with her mother. Can she prevent me from having out of state visitation rights. She lives in Connecticut and is filing for divorce in Connecticut. We have no assets and she does not work. I would like to be able to have my son visit with me in my home state of California

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The court could refuse out of state visitation. One determining factor will be whether you can afford to pay for the children's travel. There are many other factors the court will look at as well. You should retain the services of an experienced family law attorney in Connecticut to assist you. You need someone at court to represent you, especially since you have no connection with Connecticut.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.