Connecticut Questions & Answers by Practice Area

Connecticut Questions & Answers

Q: My husband is a LLC owner from Iowa who was shut down last week by Dept. of Labor for no worker's comp, and will be fine

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Apr 26, 2017

Contact a local attorney. You need legal assistance far beyond what can be provided in this simple Q&A format.
View Details »

Q: If my dad left everything to my mom at his death in his will do we have to probate the will? State of Connecticut

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Connecticut on
Answered on Apr 15, 2017

IF there is property in dad's name alone then yes, the ONLY way to transfer the property to mom's name is by probate. If ALL the assets owned at the time of death were joint with rights of survivorship, or had named beneficiaries (like life insurance etc.) the there will probably NOT be a need for probate.

If you are unsure, you need to speak with a local estate/probate attorney to 'get the whole story'. Facts can be complicated, and the ONLY way to know for sure is to review all the...
View Details »

Q: Honda put out recall for a possible exploding airbag w/ metal shrapnel 2 months ago. I just received notice now.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 29, 2017

Get your airbag fixed.See if they pay rental.
View Details »

Q: I'm being sued, what do I need to do?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 29, 2017

Notify your insurance.Call them, send them a fax with the claim# on it, send them a certified return receipt letter. Enclose a copy of the complaint or writ or both.
View Details »

Q: Will my bf be released on his next court day on April? He was arrested on march 13 for LARCENY, SECOND DEGREE CF.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 27, 2017

He needs to post bail. Feel free to contact me for a good local bail bondsman. This is a serious enough crime that it is a class C felony and not a misdemeanor. Its punishable by up to 10 years in Prison and/ or Fines of up to $10,000

He needs a lawyer . Please review the Connecticut Code - Sec. 53a-123. Larceny in the second degree: Class C felony.
View Details »

Q: My wages were garnished by the IRS due to back taxes the garnishment was stopped and I was since declared noncollecta

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 26, 2017

No, federal income taxes are not deductible.
View Details »

Q: What happens when you find the original will after probate judge deems you execute it, but you are sole benefactr in wil

1 Answer | Asked in Probate, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Collections for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 18, 2017

You've scrambled pronouns around so it is hard to determine who you are talking about with 'his' property ... both you and your mother are female, right? If Probate is still open and property not yet distributed, it is simply a matter of having the new will 'admitted' for administration, and then following the instructions in the will. Your attorney should be able to walk you through this process.

It gets more complicated if there has been a distribution contrary to the terms of the...
View Details »

Q: Does our condo association have to pay the attorney fees in our foreclosure action if the owner/ defendant doesn't?

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 7, 2017

Absolutely, 100% Yes. But this should only occur where the attorney ended up getting the condo unit back to the Association for resale. Then attorney fees can be paid out of the proceeds.
View Details »

Q: I incurred damage to my car from an uninsured motorist. The defendant has a court date tomorrow in Connecticut.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 7, 2017

Hopefully he produces insurance, or will be told he'll lose his license until he pays. I assume you have damage estimates
View Details »

Q: If there is no will, does a house itself go to next of kin according to intestate laws or sold to pay creditors?

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 4, 2017

I am sorry to hear of you loss.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to try to negotiate a debt like Credit Cards down, but ultimately you will only inherit the NET value of the estate, whatever that might be. If YOU pay off the credit card debts, you could preserve the house, but there are lots of complicated decisions to make before you decide to do that.

Bottom line, you inherit the NET estate. If there are creditors they are paid first. If the debts are larger than the assets, the...
View Details »

Q: My car was parked and I got hit by a lady and she is saying a car hit her what do I do ?

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 3, 2017

You need an attorney to sue her. You also need a police report to substantiate the event.
View Details »

Q: Can my doctor refuse to treat my dad at home just because it is too far from him?

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 1, 2017

You can't make a doctor make home visits. Contact visiting nurse and see if they can act as the doctor's eyes. Also if the problem is transportation some dommunity groups may provide that type fo surgery.
View Details »

Q: Does insurance follow the car or the drivers?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Connecticut on
Answered on Mar 1, 2017

You were in the totaled car and have injuries. Contact a member of the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association--they give free consults. You can write the other driver, tell her her /owners insurance has denied, if she doesn't have insurance you will ask to have her and owner's licenses suspended.
View Details »

Q: when do ucmj have jurisdiction over a crime

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 21, 2017

For the active duty component - 24/7, anywhere in the world. For reserves/national guard, the member must be on orders or in a drilling status. There are many nuances with jurisdiction, but those are the basics.
View Details »

Q: I have joint custody with my ex. He lives in Georgia, I don't. Can I file for full custody??

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 20, 2017

Yes, you can file for that. But getting a lawyer who specializes in this area of law and can help you put together the evidence in the right way is very helpful. Here is a list of lawyers that specialize in family law near you:
View Details »

Q: can I sued a 15 years old kid, I'm 20 years old He has criminal records already

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 14, 2017

Chances are he doesn't have money so you can sue him but it won't do you any good. As to the bills, if you are eligible for medical assistance try getting it--it is sometimes retroactive. You can file a complaint with the police.
View Details »

Q: Is it legal to marry my fiance's ashes in CT

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 11, 2017

No -- “‘Marriage’ means the legal union of two persons.” Conn. Gen. Stats. § 46b-20.
View Details »

Q: How can I find pending civil cases for connecticut online?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 10, 2017

You can start on Googe - plus in any case name. You can look on the CT Judicial Branch website and look up cases there as well. Here is the link:

Sally Roberts
View Details »

Q: How long dose it take after you win your case? Say for instance I win my case and now what is the next step ?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut on
Answered on Feb 2, 2017

Congratulations. Assuming the other side hasn't filed an appeal, you have a right to collect the judgment. You haven't said what type of case it is. You would start by notifying the defendant. If they don't pay you you then need to take steps to enforce the judgment.
View Details »

Q: is it legal for a buy here pay here dealership to sell you a car with an open recall and faulty ignition switch

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Consumer Law and Products Liability for Connecticut on
Answered on Jan 30, 2017

The letters presumably say they will pay. In which case, no harm, no foul. If they aren't a GM dealer not sure they have a duty to check each car for recalls--especially as that can be done as easily by you.

If you have further questions why not get a consultation from a consumer attorney,
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.