Cairo, GA asked in Small Claims for Georgia

Q: I lived with a man He paid off my car no mention of repayment. I thought it was a gift. What kind of lawyer do I need

The reason I moved out my daughter found out some bad news on the internet and made me leave him. I had already made up my mind to leave but he gets violent so easily I was afraid of him.The small claims was filed in crossville tn I live in Cairo Ga. Where will court be held

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Small claims will be held in Grady County in Cairo.

You need to file an answer within 30 days after you received the summons and complaint/statement of claim.

Here is the answer form:


If that link does not work try:

and select mag-10-13 form.

Your defense is that this was a gift. If the judge does not buy it, then you can see if you can get favorable repayment terms (called a consent judgment - court should have the forms) and it should say that you promise to repay at an amount (generally 1% - 4% of the judgment) per month until the judgment is repaid and that the plaintiff promises not to garnish your wages or seize other assets or your bank account while you are making payments.

If you can afford a lawyer then skip the above forms and get a general civil litigation/debt collection lawyer. Again, your defense sounds like this was a gift - gift is a gift, not a loan. Gifts don't have to be repaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.