Asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Should I talk to the police or get a lawyer? Am I obligated to even talk to the police?

I was doing this drop shipping thing on ebay. I sold an item for a company, the seller paid me, except the company never shipped the item. I told the seller that, and that there was nothing I could do, as the company I sold the item for refused to have any further contact after I sent them the money. The way it was supposed to work was I get 10% for whatever I sold from the company. I had researched the company beforehand just to make sure it wasn't a scam, and I could not find anything on the internet that proclaimed it was shady. I accepted their offer and I sold a tractor for $9000 odd dollars, and I kept $900 (the 10%) and transferred the rest to the company. However the day I did so, I received no more contact from the company. I sent emails and called the company, no answer. I no longer have the money. The company is in IL, the buyer in PA, and I was in CA. Now I live abroad.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy L. Galloway III
Roy L. Galloway III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should never speak to police without a lawyer present because anything you say can be used against you in court. You don't want the cops to take what you say out of context or testify in court that you said something you did not and it be his/her word as a cop against yours. For your protection just say no. You have no duty to speak. Your 5th Amendment right not to incriminate yourself protects you. Don't waive it by talking.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.