Farmington, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: My daughter father wants to turn over complete custody rights to me. We are not married and our daughter is 4 months old

What is the process that you have to go through for him to terminate all my ec's legal right? He no longer wants her to have his last name. I am more than happy to change it to my last name. I currently have a PPO order against him for abuse.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you were not married, you most likely have sole custody of the child at this time. If the father is in agreement to change the child's name, you can file a petition to change it (he signs that he is in agreement). Here is a link to the form:

Since you have a PPO in place, it is very important that you not communicate with him directly regarding any of these issues. Make sure communications are done through a third party.

Kelly G Lambert III

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.