Wayne, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Retail Theft

If a person (18.3 ysr) is given non traffic citation for 'Retail Theft' in Chester county in PA a day agao. What should be done to reduce the repurcussion to minimal so that there is no record and his studies and future career is not impacted.By what time next step has to be taken.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy L. Galloway III
Roy L. Galloway III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you have no prior criminal history, you and your attorney should consider applying for the Acc elerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program. ARD is a pretrial program designed for non-violent and non-felony offenses whereby you agree to be on probation, you pay a fee for entry into the program, pay restitution and fines and comply with conditions of the ARD program which are usually community service, counseling or treatment and paying restitution and your record will be expunged upon successful completion of the ARD program.

It is important that you apply for entry into the program early in the process because you cannot have your record expunged after you are found guilty or plead guilty, unless it is a summary offense and you wait 5 years to have it expunged. If you get accepted into the ARD program, you can have your record expunged in less than a year and this won't cause you too much harm.

You should contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.