Mckeesport, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Are records automatically expunged if charges are dropped involving possession with intent to distribute 3heroin bricks.

Person was charged and held 6 days, held over for trial. Trail was 18 months after arrest rather than within 12 so defense was going to request they be dropped based on rule 600 but the DA dismissed and defendant had charges expunged. I thought the only way was for ARD or cooperating to get them expunged.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy L. Galloway III
Roy L. Galloway III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If your charges have been expunged, you should have received a copy of a court order granting a Petition For Expungement. If you never received a court order expunging your record, chances are you still have an arrest record.

You should check with your lawyer to see if he/she received an order granting an expungement. If you were not represented by a lawyer, you can do an unofficial record check by pulling up your docket sheet at the court of common pleas level. You can search the following website by your name or docket number:

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.