Collegeville, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: I owe $130,000 on my mortgage. If I die, can my sons (named in my will as inheriting my estate) pay off the mortgage an

I have over $250,000 in my 401K they will inherit as well as insurance of approximately $100,000

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael J Girardi
Michael J Girardi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lower Burrell, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your question was cut off, so I will only state a few generalities regarding real estate and mortgages. In your Will, you can leave the property to your sons. If your estate is large enough, funds from your estate can be used to pay off the mortgage before it transfers to your sons, and in your Will you can direct the executor to do so. Alternatively, you can also leave the property to your sons with the mortgage still attached, and they will be responsible for paying it off.

If your sons are the named beneficiaries of your 401k and your life insurance, the $350,000 will pass outside of probate and go directly to your sons. If that is the case, your estate will not have direct access to those proceeds and will not be able to pay off the mortgage before it transfers to your sons. If your 401k and the life insurance do not name your sons as beneficiaries (or your estate is named as the beneficiary), then the executor can use those proceeds to pay off your mortgage before it passes to your sons.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.