Washington, DC asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My Mother passed and her husband has kids from previous marriage, by remarrying , how does it change our inheritance?

I understand that 1/2 the house by inheritance belongs to my Sister and I, (he has 4 kids of his own), he is speaking of remarrying, how does that change our inheritance at his passing?The house is located in Puerto Rico. We get along great with our step Dad but we have concerns since he is speaking of remarrying and there are 4 other children. We had even thought of buying him out, making the house ours, and letting him live it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: In general you inherit just from your parents. In Puerto Rico the law provide for forced heirs. These are, in general, your children and the grandchildren, etc. The children from other relations of your spouse are not your forced heirs. You should make a will (testament) to include those children in your heritage. Therefore, when your step dad pass away, his children will inherit from him, not the children of his future spouse, nor you.

Of course, if no will is made.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.