Puerto Rico Questions & Answers by Practice Area

Puerto Rico Questions & Answers

Q: My son is 25 years and he doesn't have a job but he needs to pay Child support. Am I responsible to pay childsupport?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jan 22, 2018

Thank you for your question. No, you would not be responsible for pay your son’s child support obligation. I strongly suggest that your son contact a family law attorney that would be able to give him advice and devise a plan in order to request a reduction of child support.
View Details »

Q: I am buying a property in Puerto Rico and have PR power of attorney so my father can sign closing documents, if I get it

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jan 7, 2018

It would need to be notarized in the US and sent to PR with a County Clerk’s Certificate of Notarial Authority attesting to the Notary Public´s authorization for the date of the signing. Then a local attorney (a notary public) in PR would need to have it "protocolized", that is, to be made part of what we call it here the "Protocol", which is basically what attorneys´ official collection of deeds. It´s very important that the POA drafted be written in a way that the financial institution...
View Details »

Q: We married in PR over 20yrs, have been living in the states for 15years. Do I need to travel to PR for a divorce?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Dec 24, 2017

No. It's where you live at the time of the divorce that counts, not where you were married.
View Details »

Q: Where does child support goes to the state or the mom in puerto rico if I start paying childsupport & I'm behind 4000

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Dec 21, 2017


All the money for alimony is deposited in a child support (ASUME) account in Puerto Rico and it goes directly to the mother or father with custody of the child.
View Details »

Q: My husband passed. He has 3 children located in the US. Do they have right to all of his assets or just his property?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 30, 2017

For the estate and assest located in Puerto Riro, the local law applies to the heirs.

If he died without a will, you will need to complete a declaration of heirs and all the children will have rights as well as the widow.
View Details »

Q: About 2 years ago I won a civil case in Puerto Rico. But I havent received all money. What can i do now?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Collections for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 28, 2017

You can docket the judgment from Puerto Rico in New York. You need to get a certified copy from the court there.
View Details »

Q: Are there any resources in PR for dealing with Parental Alienation issues?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 9, 2017


Under a case of custody or visitations you can allege Parental Alienation.
View Details »

Q: My mom died and 12 days later my father died, both in Puerto Rico. They both received Social Security.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 1, 2017

You might qualify for administration without probate but can’t say for sure without more info. If you have to hire an attorney the Cody of the attorney would like outweigh the value of the estate. Even if you figure out (on your own) how to do the probate your time is worth something per hour so just count the costs and decide your path.

Good luck,
View Details »

Q: My grandmother passed a year ago. I currently live in the US And don't know how to find out if I am on the will

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Sep 17, 2017

Did she own any real estate in Illinois.

If not, you will need to consult a lawyer where she was a resident.

It is possible that the properties were in joint names so that probate was not needed.
View Details »

Q: I adopted my step daughter in FL how do change her birth certificate in Puerto Rico

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Sep 8, 2017


If you want to change the information in a birth certificate issued by the demographic registry in Puerto Rico, you will need to file a case about change of name of correction of birth certificate in the district court where the child was born. You will need to state why you request the change of name and definitely you will need to present evidence of the adoption case.
View Details »

Q: Being my fathers only child, do I have any entitlements if removed from my fathers will and assigned to a non-relative?

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Aug 12, 2017

In New York, you would have no rights, provided that your father made competent decisions of his own.
View Details »

Q: hello I and my older brother and sister received an inheritance. Since I was away for a long time neither sibling will

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Aug 3, 2017

You could first try to see if there was any court case filed either through the

judicial system per se or by contacting an attorney.
View Details »

Q: How long after filing for bankruptcy will the creditors stop calling me?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Aug 2, 2017

Creditor calls and mailings should stop within 2 weeks of filing
View Details »

Q: I have 1/3 of an inheritance sitting in the courts in Bayamon since 2016. I have the file #. How do I retrieve my money?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jul 3, 2017

It has to be done in writing through the court, via the Accounts Division, but it´s usually difficult to find someone who is English-speaking. However, a lawyer will be able to get the money in a relatively speedy manner. Feel free to contact us if you want this to be taken care of right away.
View Details »

Q: Does a will have to be file? Or does the lawyer that drew the will automatically Files it?

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jun 26, 2017

The attorney will automatically file or register it within 24 hours of the signature.
View Details »

Q: if I sent a power of attorney for the purpose of inheritance and in return i was asked to sign a special power of

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jun 20, 2017

1. You never sign something you don't understand.

2. You don't do anything until someone explains why you are being asked to do it.
View Details »

Q: If a woman is married in Puerto Rico and live in pr with her husband and kids can she divorce and bring the kids to usa

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jun 12, 2017

Yes. You have to file a divorce and custody case in Puerto Rico. You will need to request the transfer of residency of the minors to the USA. The court will evaluate the request so you can travel to the US with the kids.
View Details »

Q: My sister passed away and so did my Mom. My father had a house in P.R. and it is about to be sold by his other children

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Answered on May 22, 2017

Your sister's heirs are her next of kin, that would be her children if she had any, if she didn't it would be her siblings from her nuclear family such as you. Really there is a lot more to this and a full analysis is warranted by an estate and probate attorney.
View Details »

Q: I'd like to appoint two people as my executors - is that okay?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Answered on May 15, 2017


Under the laws of Puerto Rico you can have as many as executors you want always under the right Power of Attorney.
View Details »

Q: I live most of the year in Florida and want to buy a vacation rental in Puerto Rico.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on May 14, 2017

Yes, you will need to pay a monthly "room tax", at a rate of 7%, to the PR Tourism Company -a government agency- for any short term rentals less than 90 days.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.