San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: What are my options here??

I was convicted of Intoxication assault last year for drinking underage and driving and injuring my passenger. Who was my cousin who didn't want to press charges. The crime happened 4 yrs ago. I was sentenced harshly with 8/8 probation and an ignition interlock on a car thats not registered to me, and my licence was revoked. It was my first offense ever. I work, pay the interlock, pay probation, and go to mandatory AA classes. Just 1 of my drug/alcohol test came back positive for traces of alcohol. My probation officer wanted to put me on a home device AND ant-abuse pills. The judge denied and instead wanted me to go to an IN-patient treatment center for 3-6 months. I had to sign the paper , get arrested and taken then or an MTR, motion to revoke. So I didn't sign. I would've lost my job and I am the sole provider for my girlfriend and my son. My probation officer said I have to go back and a warrant will be placed for my arrest on 9/26/14

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher M. Lankford
Christopher M. Lankford
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The problem with probation is that the Judge has wide discretion on what conditions to place on you. You should talk to your attorney. He/she can advise you on the likelihood of revocation. As bad as 3-6 months of inpatient is, it's far better than 8 years in jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.