Columbia, SC asked in Elder Law for Alabama

Q: I have proof of a relative abusing her role as agent for my grandmother's POA, durable, financial and medical.

How do we handle a transfer of agent of POA, will the relative be investigated, will this relative be required to return money and accept payment of medicaid penalties for nursing home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You take her to court on behalf of your grandmother -- assuming your grandmother is incompetent mentally. The relative is personally responsible for his or her misconduct as an agent under the Power of Attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.