Bettendorf, IA asked in Family Law for Iowa

Q: I've been separated from my daughter's father 4.5 years. No custody agreement and need to move 20 hrs away. Can I?

My boyfriend of almost 5 years is up for a large promotion that would move us from IA to FL. Her father and I have no custody agreement, and he travels for business for weeks at a time. I want her to go with us, but I don't know what the law is on this. He has never paid child support and I've made several suggestions of how he can still see her. If we go to court I don't know what they will look at or if they will just tell me no. Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If not married to him and no orders in place then yes you can move, otherwise no. You should still get a custody Order. Use of a lawyer is recommended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.