Mobile, AL asked in Construction Law for Alabama

Q: My husband bought our house from a man who bought it as a foreclosure. Since we moved in, we have noticed walls that are

off in measurement. We have also had a water leak in the wall and the plumber believes it is due to improper installation and building by the original home builder. Do we have any legal recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Was it a new house or a used house? That's the first question to answer. If it is not a new house, then there is no warranty on the house -- unless there is some separate contract of insurance for that. If you asked specifically about the plumbing and the owner lied to you when he knew there was a problem, you may have some recourse. Otherwise, you are out of luck. There is no warranty on a used home to cover things you didn't ask about. If you had the home inspected, you might have some recourse against the inspector -- if he negligently failed to notice things that were problems.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.