Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My bf was arrested for domestic violence. The case has not be filled with the DA so are there any charges against him?

He was arrested but the case has yet to be filled with the DAs office. I was told that since the case had not been filled yet there are not pending charges against him. Is this true? Also, how do I go about removing the protective order that the police officers filled against him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher M. Lankford
Christopher M. Lankford
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. However, the DA has 2 years to file charges (longer if it is a felony). Family violence cases are often subject to "no drop" policies, which means it likely will be filed. An attorney can fight the protective order, but it is usually best to just let it expire since it's temporary and "no contact" may be a condition of his bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.