Lake Orion, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can he get full custody?

My fiancé and I have a 7 month old baby boy. The situation is complicated because he lives in his house one week and my House another week. We are both with our parents, so it makes it hard and I wanted our son to live with me since I am his mother and his family controlled and stepped in and said no he will live in two houses till we move out. Anyways I feel it's a unhealthy relationship and abusive and when I say I am going to leave my fiance he says if I ever leave him he will take our son away from me and use my past depression against me and win full custody. I feel so helpless and need legal advice if I left my fiance, could he get full custody? I don't want to lose my son because I would fall apart without him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need an experienced family law attorney today. Since you are not married - if the father is listed on the birth certificate, you both must have signed an Affidavit of Parentage. This says you have custody of the child. Consult an attorney today so they can advise you the best course of action.

Kelly G Lambert III

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.