Macomb, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: Consent Judgment over 6 years ago. Ex now asking for child support because making less money now. Can this be awarded?

No child support at time of consent judgment and we opted out of FOC because salaries and overnights were equal. Since then, ex has taken a job at a significant lower salary and wants back into FOC and is requesting child support. Do they have a strong case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Lambert
Kelly Lambert
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If it is a case eligible for child support, this can be requested at any time.

It is possible to fight and have income imputed to your ex - she is not allowed to voluntarily reduce her income. Schedule a free consultation with an attorney - they will be able to review the details of the case and advise you how to proceed.

Kelly G Lambert III

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.