Walla Walla, WA asked in Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: My fiancé was arrested when our protection order has been lifted why is this?

Will he be released from jail? He hasn't violated the law whatsoever. I filed a motion to remove protection order and the judge approved it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Alan Lustick
Jeffrey Alan Lustick
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Bellingham, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Unless he got arrested for some reason other that you do not know about, his arrest for violating an order of protection that has been rescinded could be a false arrest. This happens very rarely, but sometimes the court will not get the paperwork showing that the judge rescinded the order into the police records system fast enough. Usually when a court rescinds the order, it can take up to 24 hours for the paperwork to hit the system. This is why I always tell my clients to carry with them a copy of the court order signed by the judge. So if it's correct that he was arrested for violating the order which actually was rescinded, he should not be facing any charges. Furthermore, depending on the circumstances, he may have a claim for false arrest against the police and the court. We once settled a pretty high dollar value claim for a guy who was arrested for allegedly violating a no-contact order which had be rescinded three days before. As the police were hauling him off to jail, he kept telling him that the order had been dropped, but the cops just laughed at him. But because we sued the county, itt was the client who got the last laugh.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.