Wilburton, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: If my daughter's father failed to comply with all aspects of the court ruling, Does he still have rights to her??

I have been the only one in her life and the only one on her birth certificate for five years. Which even got ordered to put his info on birth certificate, still to this day 5 and a half years later nothing. He's never had anything to do with her and didn't want anything to do with her but now out of the blue he's asking my family for info pertaining to my daughter, as well as myself. I haven't spoken to him yet but he has contacted my sister in regards to requesting to contact me. I'm absolutely terrified he will try and get custody. Neither one of us is unfit we both have other children( him 2 boys and me 1 more girl). Does he have the right to contact me in regards to my daughter? It's just going to mess with her emotionally if he shows up in and out of her life as he pleases. I was awarded in court to be the only legal parent of her. Custody issues have never a problem, he didn't want her . So do I have to be in contact with him? Do I have to let him come around my daughter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: On the surface the natural father appears to have some right to visitation, at least until his parental rights are terminated by the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.