Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: if my name is mentioned in my grandpas will, how do i go about collecting my distribution ?

my grandpa just recently died 2months ago, he was a military vet, and my fathers name was mentioned in the will as well but he shortly died after my grandpa and i was wondering will i be able to collect that as well? and how do i go about receiving my distribution, because i live out of state???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael J Girardi
Michael J Girardi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lower Burrell, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I am sorry about the loss of your grandpa and your father. If you are named as a beneficiary in your grandpa's Will, you will eventually receive your distribution (assuming there are sufficient funds in the estate) from the executor of his estate. This may take awhile, as the process of administering an estate can take some time. Your grandpa's debts and taxes have to be paid, among many other tasks. You should have receive a notice from the executor of your grandpa's estate. You can check in from time to time with this person to see how the probate process is going.

As far as your father's share of your grandpa's estate, it is going to depend upon the language in your grandpa's Will whether or not you receive your father's share. It may state that your grandpa's property goes to your father and his heirs, or it may say that it goes to someone else, or it may say nothing. Additionally, because your father passed soon after, there may be an issue of survivorship. Often Wills stipulate a beneficiary must survive the decedent by X number of days in order to inherit. The notice from the executor may have included a copy of the Will.

Again, I am sorry about the passing of your grandpa and father. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.