Melrose Park, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can an ex wife collect on a pod account when the husband dies if it says in the divorce papers that Husband shall retain

The divorce says "Husband shall retain sole ownership of the following personal property, free and clear of any and all claims thereto by wife: All deposits of money standing currently in his sole name in any financial institution. The account was only in his name and she collected money like the 5 children did.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Lund-Logan
Angela Lund-Logan
  • Machesney Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to seek advice from a Probate attorney. There may be documents with the financial institution that were never changed after the divorce. There may be a will directing the financial institution to pay. A divorce can only order the Husband and the Wife to act and no one else. Perhaps there were steps that needed to be taken after the divorce that did not occur. File your question in the Probate/Estate section.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.