Chicago, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: If im put on child support do I have the rights to file my child

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Lund-Logan
Angela Lund-Logan
  • Machesney Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I assume that you are asking if you can claim your child as a dependent. The court that ordered you to pay child support can enter an order giving you the right to claim your child as a dependent. You need to request that such an order enter.

Most court orders require state that if you are behind in paying your child support, you are not allowed to claim the child.

Some judges require that you pay a specific amount of child support to be allowed to claim the child. This is based on the IRS rule that the parent who provides the most financial support for the child is allowed to claim the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.