Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: My ex wife takes my daughter to the doctor and signs she will be financially responsible for what the medical insurance

I provide the insurance. She is required to pay 880 before I start paying a %. The ex wife is not paying anything and now I am being sued with her. Is there a law that requires me to pay even though I didn't sign the waiver?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Lund-Logan
Angela Lund-Logan
  • Machesney Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You are dealing with two different set of rules: one in divorce court and the other in debtor court.

Divorce court: You need to file paperwork in your divorce to force your wife to pay the $880. Seek legal counsel immediately to enforce the court order.

Debtor court/Small claims: You need to determine if you are liable if she signed saying she would be responsible with the medical provider/creditor. The order in the divorce requiring your wife to pay has no effect on the creditor when you are being sued for a debt. You must force her to follow the court order in the divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.