Toledo, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: What is the shortest possible time to get a dissolution? Is hiring a private lawyer faster?

I live outside of the US, and my wife lives in the US. I am only in the states for a week, and we would like to terminate our marriage with as little time and complications as possible. We're both willing to compromise, and do whatever is easiest for our two children. But I don't have enough time to wait for a court date. What else can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The papers have to filed first. Once filed, the court has to have a hearing not less than 30 nor more than 90 days after it is filed. All you would have to do is show up for the hearing. An alternative would be do a divorce with a complete by separation agreement, have her be the plaintiff and make sure it is attached. You could do a waiver of service. That one requires some trust on your part and if you elect to do it that, I'd get an attorney to represent you to make sure it goes as planned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.