Amarillo, TX asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: can my daughter move out of state with her 16 yr old for health reasons she is not married to father n has full custody

He is under dr. care for anxiety and depression caused by father, we tried talking with him but only hangs up, he doesn't see his son , only at his convenience, and when he does he just tells him things about his mom and he does not want to see him, he said he is not a father , and only a jerk who came into his life to make him miserable,,,,he said he is tired of being paranoid and scared living in chicago and wants to move to texas where i am,,,,,,he was an honoral student for 2yrs and failed due to being in the hospital,,,,,,,can his father stop my daughter from moving even if it is for the best interest of his well being,,,,,,,,,we have tried to talk to him but he wont listen,,,,,,,,,dr's even said that he can come to see them to talk about his health and well being and he told my daughter that he wasnt , what would be our next step to try to help him , he is 16 yrs old , i am just afraid of what it will progess into

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Lund-Logan
Angela Lund-Logan
  • Machesney Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: In Illinois a custodial parent must be given permission to permanently move a child out of state. Your daughter needs to file paperwork requesting to move out of state as soon as possible since the process can be very lengthy.

If you daughter has joint custody with the father, she must ask the father, in writing, to attend mediation before she can file paperwork in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.