Jackson, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: We have been separated for 1 year. Can I file a divorce even tho I can find him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can file for divorce whether you can find him or not provided you meet the residency requirements in Ohio. You need to be a resident of Ohio for six months and the county where you file for 90 days preceding the filing of the complaint.

One ground for divorce in Ohio is living separate and apart for more than one year without interruption or cohabitation immediately preceding the filing of complaint. If you have an address, certified mail would be the easiest way to serve him. If you don't have an address, you'll need to do service by publication.

Best to you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.