Seneca, SC asked in Social Security for South Carolina

Q: if my son is getting money from my SSD check.Will his part be returned to me once he turns 18

will his part of the money go back into my check once he is no longer getting the money from my SSD

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Alexander Heeps
Jonathan Alexander Heeps
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX

A: No. There are two limits on SSDI benefits - your individual max (PIA) and family max. In order to get dependent benefits your family max must be higher than you PIA. For example, PIA (800) Family max (800), in this situation there would be no dependent benefits. But if your PIA was (1000) and Family Max was (1500) there would be $500 in dependent benefits. But you are only entitled to these benefits for dependents. So once your child turns 18 those benefits will stop. You need to consult with a local security attorney to get an answer more specific to your actual situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.