Tampa, FL asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: Do you think I can get full rights of my daughter back?

At 18yrs I got preg at 20,21 yrs old I signed part custody over to my mother who had a great job making great money and could take way better care of her at the time then I could, now my mother has lost her job, drinks alcohol even got a drunk n public last year at her home, our court order states no drinking around my daughter and that I'm to have her three days a week and every other weekend she hasn't let me keep her or if I want to see her I have to go to her house , I have an apartment , about 15 minutes from my mother's , I have a job to be able to take care of my daughter I don't have a car though, but we can take a transit to anywhere needed to go if I got her back, I panther back but I'm afraid that my mother will get in front of court and make up so much ,(she has horrible polar issues etc) that the judge won't let me have herIm 25yrs old and got everything straight in my life , I want her back now, do you think I'll get her what should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tara  Candela R.N.
Tara Candela R.N.
  • Alexandria , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You will have to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the custody order was entered, and you will have to show that living with you is in your daughter's best interest. If you truly believe it's in your daughter's best interest to live with you now, I encourage you to find an attorney to help you. While planning for this change, do everything in your power to remain rational and do not let the poor conduct of others influence your reactions.

Best wishes,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.