Meriden, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: Do I have to buy my husband out of the house before my son is 18?

We have been married 23 years. I am staying in the house. We both make the same yearly salary and have equal debt.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
Jerome N. Goldstein Esq.
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Your question is missing parts needed to clearly answer it. If you have already divorced and are asking about the interpretation of your property distribution agreement you would have to show the divorce agreement or decree to an attorney for assistance. If you are not divorced and trying to work out property distribution, more information about the rest of your assets and life are needed. After 23 years of marriage it is recommended you retain an experienced divorce attorney to assist you in dividing your world. Doing it on your own is not recommended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.