Newton Center, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: I-485 - Have you ever knowingly committed a moral turpitude crime without being arrested?

I received a court summon letter from Macy's on shoplifting. I appeared with my lawyer in Municipal Court but Macy's representative did not appear and the case was dismissed. I did not receive any dismissal notice. I was only handled by Loss Prevention officers, no law officers involved. Do I have to answer yes to the moral turpitude question and do I need to attach the court summon letter as evidence?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Miguel Nieves
Miguel Nieves
  • North Andover, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Was this a criminal or civil matter? It would be best to run a CORI to see exactly what happened in that case and see if there is any other record. You should also get a complete copy of the file from the court in which you appeared and take the copy to an experienced immigration attorney. You will need a certified copy of the disposition as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.