Hoquiam, WA asked in Tax Law for Washington

Q: Tax Lawyer Please 1099-C for S - Corp

We had a S corp small business. Foreclosed on in 2012. We now get a 1099-c for the corp and I do not know what to do with it.

I have checked the IRS web site, not sure where to look for closed business information.

One of the sites mentioned section 108 of the tax code, that "If the business was considered closed and insolvent in 2014, then cancellation of debt is not considered income. See Internal Revenue Code Section 108".

My accountant that we had when we were in business says that he will need to do some research, kind of concerns me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: For handling the canceled debt in an S corporation, have your accountant potentially review (Sec. 108(d)(7)(A)) and Gitlitz, 531 U.S. 206 (2001), in case. The information presented herein is for general purposes only. It is not intended to, and may not be construed as legal, tax or accounting advice. For specific advice, please consult a tax attorney in person. Good luck. Zaher Fallahi, Tax Attorney, CPA (California).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.