Desoto, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: I purchased a house when I was single. I am now married and my spouse is not and has never been a resident of tx. Can I

Can I sell the house without his consent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The fact that your spouse is not a TX resident has no bearing to the answer. the fact thar you bought the house while you were single means it is your separate prioerty. Your spouse therefore has no say in selling the house. However, if you have used community fund to pay for another related to the house, eg. Repairs, mortgages, furniture etc, then spouse has a claim on his share of fund that was spent in the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.