Columbia, SC asked in Probate for South Carolina

Q: Both my parents died and they didn't have wills. They owned a car. Can I have the car put in my name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
L. Wayne Patterson
L. Wayne Patterson
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: A South Carolina probate estate will have to be opened in order to transfer the title to a vehicle. Contact the probate court in the county where they resided for the requirements to open an estate. You will need an original of their death certificates and wills if they had a will. South Carolina does have a small estate procedure where the total value of the estate is less than $25,000.00.

This answer is for general information only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. For legal advice you have to retain your own attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.