Asked in Adoption for Ohio

Q: Im 21 of age, i haven't spoken to my real parent for years and i was wondering if i can get adopted by my friend.

I want to take my brothers last name, hes 23, im 21. Haven't had any communication with my real parents and his parents have a different last name then his. He's like a brother and a father and is it poasible to get adopted by him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Perhaps. Read this:

The court will want to know that a parent-child like relationship between you and the person adopting you existed while you were a minor. This may be difficult to show, given that he is only two years older than you. You can always change your name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.