Bedford, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: The house I live in is in an estate, can I have the title transferred into my name . I have paid the taxes for 14 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I assume you mean the title is in the estate of a deceased. In that case, title of the house can only be transferred to the heir of the estate. Is there a will? If there is one, then you need to look at the will and see to whom the deceased gave the house to. If there is no will, then someone will have to ask the court to determine who is the proper heir to this house based on the state law. Just living In the house and paying taxes do not give you the legal ownership. If it is determined that someone else is the true owner of the house, you may have a claim against the true owner on the money that you have spent in the house over the last 14 years. But then the owner may also have a right to ask you for back rent. As you can see, it can be quite complicated. The best way to tackle it is to hire a probate (not a real estate) attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.