Albuquerque, NM asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: If property (house) is willed to my Mother, will it still be subject to probate court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy Hui
Nancy Hui
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Pearland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A simple answer is yes because before anything can be passed down according to the instructions in the will, the will has to be admitted by the probate court judge. Meaning that the judge has to say that yes, this will is valid. That's why before any one can follow the instructions in the will, it has to go though probate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.