Asked in Military Law for Alabama

Q: I received a general under honorable conditions discharge from the USAF and I had a question about upgrading for

Injustice I received a general under honorable conditions discharge from the USAF and I had a question about upgrading for injustice

during the process my commander broke my constitutional rights, will this help me in getting an upgrade?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Philip D. Cave
Philip D. Cave
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: Maybe.

One of the things they look at in the upgrade process is whether there have been significant procedural errors showing the process was unfair. So maybe you have a case to prove an inequity.


You have 15 years from date of discharge to apply. This is a hard deadline.

If you have substantial procedural error, the quicker you apply the better-don't sleep on your rights. It's tough to do. Without evidence the Boards apply the "presumption of regularity" and assume the gubmint acted properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.