Cadiz, KY asked in Car Accidents for Kentucky

Q: My wife had a person run a stop sign and pull out in front of her causing my wife to hit her car. How does this all work

What insurance will fix or replace our car. I know my daughter was in a wreck and the insurance company had to settle with her. Is there a settlement involved when you have a wreck and it is the other party that is at fault. We have never had to deal with anything like this before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin "Tom" T.D. Pugh
Benjamin "Tom" T.D. Pugh pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If the other party is at fault, then you must submit a claim to the other party's insurance carrier. The insurance company will then either fix your car or "total" it out and pay you the fair market value. If you have full coverage insurance, you can submit the claim to your insurance carrier, and have them deal with the repairs, less whatever your deductible is. If you have injuries, or any passenger has injuries, you need to submit a claim to your insurance carrier for PIP/BRB (personal injury protection/basic reparation benefits) and your insurance will pay the first $10,000 of medical bills, and a portion of lost wages. This is where it starts to get complicated, and I would recommend speaking with a personal injury attorney to handle your claim. I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.