Clifton Park, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I obtained my green cars through married, have the temp card n now divorce. Do I have to leave the country

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rachel Einbund
Rachel Einbund
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Good question! While the answer is a little complicated, no. Not if your temporary green card is still valid and the divorce is final. The law is very strict about this. When you current card expires, USCIS will require you to "Remove the Conditions" on your green card and present supporting evidence. I would strongly recommend you speak to an experienced immigration lawyer who can help you prepare your case for USCIS so that you can stay in the United States. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about this process. Good luck !

Rachel Einbund, Esq.

(212) 252-2125

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.