Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: can the same felony enhancements that have been used in previous cases be used again on a new case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip Wayne Goff
Phillip Wayne Goff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Corpus Christi, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, assuming there are completely new cases. For instance, if you had a felony conviction in Dallas County, and it resulted in a prison sentence, it could be used to enhance a later felony in Tarrant County to a repeat felony offender status. If you were sentenced to prison in that case, then were released, then committed a new felony in Harris County, you would face habitual felony offender status because both the Tarrant County and the Dallas County convictions would be used to enhance the charge. The fact the Dallas County conviction was used against you in both of the later cases is contemplated by statute. There is no limitation how many times that Dallas conviction could be used to enhance you in later cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.