Oklahoma City, OK asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My mother and father are deceased. My mother was the last to die. Do we after 20 years have to probate her estate?

We are trying to sell the house that my grandmother left my mother and her brother and sister. All are deceased. My aunt and uncle estates have already gone through the probate process. What legal action, if any do my brothers, sisters and I have to do for my mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler R. Barrett
Tyler R. Barrett
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Assuming your mother's portion of the property was owned in her name alone, as opposed to a trust or joint tenancy, then you will need to probate her estate. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to sell the house during the probate case, with the court approving the sale. Or you could wait until after the probate case is over and ownership of your mother's portion of the property has been transferred to her heirs as determined by the court, presumably you and your siblings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.