Saint Michaels, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: If a parent, With joint custody, Gets incarcerated can he request an emergency proxy to step in, such as his sister?

The child is 9yrs. & in a questionable environment, her dad(my brother) was trying to get full custody when the mother had him arrested for violating a no contact-unless it pertains to the child-order, via phone texts. Sentencing=180 days in jail. Our family is unable to Get a response from Mother as to my nieces well being or any means of contact with her at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan M. Koslow
Evan M. Koslow
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: He would need to have an attorney represent him in court, but can have anyone testify for his behalf and request that a certain individual have access to the child when he is incarcerated. Depends on the facts whether you would have any chance of being successful with this request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.